12. The Sounds of the Season: The sounds of the season ring throughout the month of December. From Martyn Lucas’ Christmas concert to the community choir’s cantata, let the songs of Christmas brighten your holiday.
11. Smells & Tastes: It wouldn’t be Christmas without candies, cookies and sweet treats! Let others do the baking for you at the St. Gregory’s Cookie & Candy Sale. Then, warm up with some delicious hot chocolate at the Wagon Wheel Café before you head out to view the Light Up Marysville Christmas Lighting Contest!
10. The Lights: Cast your vote in the city’s second annual Christmas lighting contest, Light Up Marysville. Homes and businesses are competing for your vote. You’ll have fun voting for the Clark Griswold Award, which congratulates the home that lights up Marysville all on its own, or Reason for the Season, which is for the home most resembling a classic Christmas! Voting begins December 1st!
9. Children: Experience the magic of Christmas through the eyes of a child. Kids have the chance to enjoy breakfast with Santa on December 2nd at the Naughty or Nice Breakfast at Lincoln Center. PJs are encouraged!
8. The Shopping: You’ll love the personal attention you receive when you shop in Marysville. Plus, you don’t have to fight traffic jams or deal with parking garages when you shop in Black Squirrel City. You’ll feel like you’re shopping in a big city, but with the conveniences of a small town.
7. Giving: Christmas brings out the best in our community. Whether through Blue Valley Tele-Communication’s Giving Tree, donations to the Marshall County Food Pantry or support of our local Pony Express Partnership for Children (PEPC), Marysville residents are dedicated to giving back. Want a way to give back? Be sure to stop by the PEPC Festival of Trees from November 28th to December 3rd to bid on some wonderful holiday decor and support this great organization that has served more than 160 local families!
6. Our Churches: Marysville’s churches will help you find the reason for the season. With special services throughout the month, Marysville’s faith community invites you to worship with them to celebrate the Savior’s birth.
5. Our History: You’ll get a feel for Marysville’s rich history on the “Christmas Homes Tour” on December 2nd! You’ll get a feel for Marysville as you enjoy stops at two of Marysville’s Museums: the Marshall County Courthouse and the Koester House!
4. Santa Claus: Marysville is Santa’s favorite place to shop. He likes it so much that he’s at his house every Thursday from 5:00-7:00 pm and every Sunday from 1:00-3:00 pm. Don’t miss the magical lights in the garden south of Santa’s house!
3. Our Downtown: Unique shops fill Marysville’s downtown. You’ll find gifts for everyone on your list, and you’ll receive personal attention from the friendly merchants. You’ll feel the Christmas spirit as you travel down the brick streets and wonder among the historic buildings. Our downtown is just one of the reasons why we were recently named one of KANSAS Magazine’s “Favorite Small Towns in Kansas”!
2. The Black Squirrels: In between Christmas shopping and voting in the Light Up Marysville competition, make sure to see the 21 squirrels that are part of Black Squirrels on Parade. They are all uniquely designed — you’ll want to take a selfie with each one. Don’t miss out on the black squirrel merchandise sold at many of the local shops!
- Our Traditions: The best parts of the season are repeated year after year! One of our best Christmas traditions is Santa’s Christmas Parade through Downtown Marysville! What a great way to kickoff the Christmas season and welcome Santa Claus to town!